I used Cyndi Lauper’s ever changing colorful look to inspire this recipe. I decided to make a very bright Tie Dye Cheesecake with plenty of swirls of colors just like Cyndi and took it to the next level by making the crust out of Red Velvet Cake..yum !!!
TRUE COLORS TIE DYE CHEESECAKE WITH RED VELVET CRUST
– 1 package Red Velvet Cake Mix (plus ingredients to make it)
– 1 1/2 lb. Cream Cheese ( Room Temperature)
– 1 1/3 cup Granulated Sugar
– 5 Eggs ( Room Temperature )
– 16 oz Sour Cream ( Room Temperature )
– 1/4 cup Flour
– 2 teaspoons Vanilla
– 2 teaspoons Lemon juice
– Food Coloring in multiple colors to make whatever swirl patterns you like in the cake
1) Prepare the red velvet cake mix as directed in a greased pan. Pour 1/3 of batter into a 9 inch spring form pan and bake at temperature directed on the package but you may need to cook it less since it is not a whole cake. Cake will be done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
2) Set the cake aside to cool. Reduce the oven to 325 degrees.
3) Beat the cream cheese until light and fluffy on low. Add sugar, a little at a time, and beat until creamy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well. Add flour, vanilla, lemon juice, and sour cream and mix only until incorporated.
4) Divide batter into 6 bowls and using food coloring (GEL COLOR WORKS THE BEST !), and color each bowl with one of your colors. Drop large spoonfuls of colored batter over the red velvet cake in the spring form pan, leaving 3/4 inch of space between the top of the batter and the top of the pan. Using a toothpick, slightly swirl the batter to create a tie-dye effect.
5) Place in the middle of the top rack of the oven and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. After the baking time has finished, turn off the oven and prop open the oven door and leave the cake in warmed oven for an additional hour. Then remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool to room temperature, about an hour, before refrigerating for at least 12, but ideally 24, hours.
6) Run a knife along the sides of the spring form pan, slice your cake and serve !