TAIWANESE BEEF SHANK WITH GREEN ONION PANCAKE WRAP
Ingredients For Beef Shank :
-1 pound Beef Shank
-2 Green Onions, cut into 3 cm long lengthway.
-4 thin slices Ginger
-2 Shallots, peeled and chopped roughly
-2 cups water
-5 cloves Garlic
-1 dried Red Chili Pepper or you can use a Fresh Red Chili Pepper
Seasonings for Beef Shank
1 Chinese spice bag (available in Chinese supermarket) or use 2 star anise, 1 cinnamon stick, 1 teaspoon fennel seed.
1 cup Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon Rice Wine
1 tablespoon Sugar
1 tablespoon Spicy Bean Paste
Ingredients for Green Onion Pancake:
-1 1/2 cup Bread flour
-1 1/2 cup Plain flour
-1 teaspoon Salt
-1/2 teaspoon Sugar
– 1 3/4 cup Warm Water
– 6 Green Onions, chopped finely
– Handful Sesame Seeds
– 1/4 cup Shortening
1) Cook the beef shank in boiling water for 5 minutes and rinse under cold water. Set aside for later.
2) In a medium saucepan, stir fry green onion, ginger, garlic, shallot, chili for about 4 minutes and add spicy bean paste to stir fry for another 30 seconds.
3) Place step 1 and 2 into a stock pot and add all the seasonings. Pour 2 cups water into the stockpot to cover the shank and cook on high heat until boiling. Then reduce heat to low and leave to simmer for 1 hour.
4) Remove shank from pot and set aside to slightly cool for about 5 minutes and then slice very thin and set aside.
5) Mix flour, salt, sugar with warm water together and knead it until well mixed and smooth.
6) Cover the dough with a clean, wet tea towel and leave it on aside for 20 minutes.
7) Separate the dough into 10 small dough balls and flatten them individually.
8 ) Brush shortening on the flattened pancake first and sprinkle green onion, sesame, a pinch of salt.
9) Roll dough into a one inch log and then roll again horizontally into a ball.
10) With a rolling pin, flatten your pancake ball into a nice thin round pancake.
11) In a frying pan, heat to medium high heat and use 1 teaspoon of oil to pan fry the pancake until both side are golden brown, crispy.
12) Wrap the shank and 3 cm cut green onions in the pancake. Serve with Hoi Sin Sauce.