Author : Shap
Last week on September 10, 2013, Monáe released her second studio album, The Electric Lady, which is the fourth and fifth nstallments in her seven part Metropolis series. I love this release from Monáe because she is stepping outside of the box even further with exploring more genres of jazz , gospel, pop , punk and soul..and I love it when artists step outside of the box. ( Ok well not everytime but majority of time 🙂 ). I also love the more personal and outspoken feel the album has which gives fans a different side of Monáe from her predominate funk and soul prior releases. She also has guest appearances from several artists including Prince and Erykah Badu. Those two cameos in itself ensure this to be a great release and a great release it is. Monáe put a lot of thought and effort into creating this album to make it both a meaningful release for her and her fans. She also didnt stay between the lines when coloring this album and that’s exactly what makes it so great. Love it ! Period.
Monáe’s first single from The Electric Lady, “Q.U.E.E.N.”, which features Erykah Badu, hit over 4 million views on You Tube withing the first week of the video’s release ! Claude a mercy ! First, Erykah Badu and Janelle Monáe on one track…too much..too much honey ! These two queens have absolutely blessed this track. Musical genius and a perfect collabo with two queens who continue to deliver their fans quality music time and time again.
When I was listening to ” Q.U.E.E.N” , I heard one verse and got immediately inspired for a recipe in Monáe’s honor. I got most inspired when I heard the lines :
They be like, “Ooh, let them eat cake.”
But we eat wings and throw them bones on the ground…
And with those lines I decided to make a sweet and tangy Chicken Wing recipe that any Q.U.E.E.N. would be proud to sink their teeth into. I used apricot preserves to give these wings the sweet and sass they need to be the perfect addition to Monáe’s song. Yum !!
WHAT AN EXPERIENCE APRICOT CHICKEN WINGS
– 20 chicken wings ( I only used drummets with no flats)
– 16 oz. Russian dressing
– 1 8 oz. jar Apricot Preserve
– 1 Pkg. dry onion soup mix
– 1 tablespoon Adobo Chicken Seasoning
– Olive Oil Nonstick Cooking Spray
1) In a 8×10 baking pan, spray with non-stick cooking spray and place the wings evenly into the pan. Preheat the oven to 350.
2) Sprinkle the chicken with Adobo seasoning. Combine all the remaining ingredients in a medium bowl and mix well.
3) Pour mixture evenly over chicken, making sure to cover all the chicken.
4) Bake for 1 hour and then Broil on High for 3 minutes.
5) Eat and get saucy !