Author : Tee Mayberry
Onika Tanya Maraj or as we’ve known to love her by her stage name “Nicki Minaj” is a Trinidadian-born American known for her crazy hair colors, hairstyles, eclectic rapping, singing, and television personality. “Whew this girl is 360 degrees of whopping talent.” Born in Trinidad, at the age of 5, she and her family moved to the United States. Nicki attended many schools of performing arts in her adolescence. She also attended LaGuardia High school of performing arts in New York City. Having such a scholastic background in the arts, it only fueled her to have the freedom of expression that she sheds upon the music industry today. Nicki is one of the few artist in the game that never ceases to amaze me. Whether it be her music, her haute couture fashions or her clever delivery as a television personality. Nicki has the game sewn up in her own fabulous little bubble.
In 2007-2009 Minaj released three mix tapes to the world on Young Money Records, which introduced listeners to what I call “Minajism”a term that I coined which encompasses Nicki’s style, persona and even Nicki’s explosive energy. Minaj’s first full length album called “Pink Friday” was released in 2010 receiving many honors such as peaking at #1 on US Billboard 200 and it even reached certified platinum. Her most successful single from the “Pink Friday” album was a joint called “Super Bass”, it went quadruple platinum. Yup Nicki’s pretty awesome. Her second album entitled “Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded” which dropped in 2012 was one of the best-selling albums of 2012. The lead single “Starships” from the album “Pink Friday: Roman Reloaded” has afforded Nicki many well deserved honors, awards and accolades. Nicki Minaj even participated as a critical judge on season 12 of American Idol. Not only did she comfort the contestants in the “dog eat dog” competition but she pointed their unique talents which I believe helped the contestants believe in themselves the more. Kind of saddening that she has decided not to return for the 13th season of the great talent show. Ms. Minaj is definitely putting in work and the work is continuously paying off.
Sweet Minaj has even managed to have a couple feuds with well known “raunchy” rapper “Lil’Kim and “powerhouse” vocalist Mariah Carey which basically boiled down to some she/said-she said mess. Whew… what I wouldn’t have done to be a fly on those walls. Of course we have all heard the rumors of her being engaged to fellow industry mate DJ Khaled. Some have speculated and stated that it’s rumor. Whether it’s a rumor or a true love story, everyone deserves to be genuinely loved. We wish Nicki the best in all of her endeavors. For more information on Nicki Minaj, appearances, tour dates, and new music releases, visit her website at mypinkfriday.com
As I further read about Nicki, my mind has constantly pondered what gets Nicki Minaj’s taste buds flowing? Wait for it………it’s Popeye’s Chicken! Yeah! That’s what’s up and to satisfy that sweet tooth, a simple kit-kat will do. She did state that her favorite foods are cranberries and almonds so we here at Lhyme decided to dedicate this awesome Save Me Cranberry Almond Biscotti to Nicki.
Save Me Cranberry Almond Biscotti
This recipe makes up to 30 delicious cookies
• 1 cup of granulated sugar
• 1 teaspoon of Baking Soda
• ½ teaspoon of Baking Powder
• 2 Eggs
• 2 cups of Flour
• 1 Stick of Butter ( Room temperature )
• 1 tablespoon of the real Vanilla Extract (Preferably McCormick’s)
• ¾ cup of sliced Almonds
• 1 cup of sweetened dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (170 degrees C).
2. Combine dry ingredients in a medium sized mixing bowl. Whisk together eggs and vanilla extract in a separate mixing bowl.
3. Add egg mixture to dry ingredients, mixing just until moist, using an electric mixer on medium speed. Add butter and fold until thoroughly mixed.Add dried cranberries and almonds; mix thoroughly.
4. On floured surface, divide batter in half and pat each half into a log approximately 14 inches long and 1 1/2 inches thick. Place on a cookie sheet and bake 30 minutes or until firm. Cool on a wire rack.
5. Reduce oven temperature to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). Cut biscotti into 1/2 inch slices. Place cut biscotti on a cookie sheet and bake for an additional 20 minutes. Let cool and store in a loosely covered container.
Prep Time- 20 mins.
Greatness in 2 hours, 20mins.