The Cronut with a Strawberry Rhubarb Cream Glaze..I know I know…you just got fat reading the title…I know…but soooooo worth it 🙂
Cronut with a Strawberry Rhubarb Cream Glaze
– One tube of Pillsbury Crescent Rolls Dough ( 8 pack)
– 2 cups of vegetable oil
– 8 Strawberries, hulled and halved
– 1 1/2 pound of Rhubarb , cut into 1/2 inch pieces
-3/4 cup sugar
-2/3 cup and 3 tablespoons water
– 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
– 1 1/2 tablespoons Cornstarch
– 1 cup milk
– 1/2 cup powdered sugar
1) Prepare your glaze first, Cronuts cook fast and have a very short freshness span.
2) Combine rhubarb, stawberries, 2/3 cup water and lemon juice in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, making sure to stir until the sugar dissolves.
3) Reduce heat and allow to simmer for about 9 minutes.
4) Remove from heat and cool for 10 minutes
5) Pour mixture over a strainer and press on solids until you get about 1 1/2 cups of liquid.
6) Pour mixture back into original saucepan and bring to a simmer over medium heat.
7) In a separate small bowl, mix Cornstarch and three tablespoons of water.
8 ) Add the cornstarch mixture to saucepan, whisk constantly until mixture boils and thickens, usually about 6 minutes
9) Pour glaze into small bowl and put in the fridge. Chill the mixture until cold and refridgerate for 2 hours.
10) In the meantime, after about an hour and half has passed..time to make the dough.
11 ) On a floured working surface, roll out your crescant dough. Heat your oil under medium heat in a fry pan or pot.
12) Seal all of the seams of each triangle, so that it fused together the triangles in the dough and makes one solid dough piece.
13) With a rolling pin, roll out until smooth.
14) Then fold the dough into thirds and roll out again.
15) Take a 3 inch cookie cutter and cut out a round shape, and then use the 1 inch cutter to make your donut hole.
16) Gently place each donut into oil and cook for about one minute on each side. The dough should puff up almost immediately but use the handles of a wooden spoon to flip over the Cronuts.
17) Set aside to slightly cool.
18) Mix your milk and powdered sugar together in a small bowl until it has reached a nice syrup-like consistency.
19 ) Spread the Rhubarb glaze over the Cronuts , drizzle with cream glaze and eat !!